Aug 28, 3:05 PM (ET)
By TRACIE CONE
FRESNO, Calif. (AP) - About 1,700 people who stayed in tent cabins at
Yosemite National Park this summer were warned Tuesday they may have been
exposed to a deadly rodent-borne virus blamed for the deaths of two campers.
Four people who spent time in Signature Tent Cabins at Curry Village around
the same time in June have contracted hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, an illness
spread by rodent feces, urine and saliva.
One of the people who died was from outside California. The Centers for
Disease Control confirmed the death within the past few days. Two other people
were infected and expected to survive.
The disease can incubate for up to six weeks before flu-like symptoms
develop. It's fatal in 30 percent of all cases, and there is no specific
"This is certainly an issue and we're getting word out," said park spokesman
Scott Gediman. "We're very concerned about visitors and employees, but we feel
we are taking proactive steps in both cleaning the affected areas and in public
More in Article w/Photos, at top of page.